Welcome

Why a blog from me, someone who has never been a writer, someone who has never been articulate or had a solid grasp of the grammar world. Because God told me to write. Several years ago a life storm invaded my family. God kept telling me to write it all down. I argued, but He would not let up. This went on every day for a couple of weeks until one day out of frustration, (I'd like to say it was out of obedience), I picked up a pen and paper and wrote for 7 hours straight! Do you think maybe I needed therapy and God knew it?

I've been writing ever since and have learned to love it! I started out sharing my stories with friends and family. I've now been published in a Nashville church paper, Our Daily Journey (a devotional site of RBC Ministries), PCCWeb Daily Devotional, Ruby for Women Ezine Magazine, and I am a contributor in the book Alabaster Jars, Life in Abundance Collection 2.

Why Ponderings? During this life storm, God led me to a pond in the woods behind my home. There He met me each time, teaching new lessons, reminding me of old ones, showing His presence and allowing me to feel His love through the surroundings of that pond. I found myself returning over and over to ponder, pray and praise. A healing of my heart took place and out of the experience came my first book, Ponderings From the Pond, then a second book, Ponderings From My Porch, and now a third book is in the works along with a memoir about my storm.

Why am I making myself so vulnerable? Because God has done so much that I cannot keep quiet. I have to share. Jesus's last words to his desciples were, "Go,tell." We are his disciples too and this is just one of my ways of telling.

I'm no scholar but I have heard God's voice in my spirit, experience His love daily, and have a desire for others to experience this also. I would love to share with all who visit and I would love to hear from you. If my sharing gets just one to ponder, to be quiet with the Father, to see and hear from Him or to be reminded of something from Him, then this is worth my vulnerability.

As you visit me, sometimes we will be at the pond, sometimes we will move to the front porch, and sometimes we will just be here, there, and yonder. Thank you for coming and please feel free to come back anytime, you are always welcome here.

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.

Psalm 19:14

*****EXCITING NEWS*****

My first book, Ya Know What I'm Say'n, has been released.


Ponderings

Ponderings

Friday, January 4, 2013

Cleaning, Shining, and Glorifying

They were grooming me way back then to become a housewife, homemaker, domestic engineer…whatever you want to call it. I call it a holy work. I’ve learned that if we work as if working for the Lord, then all our work becomes holy. 
 
 
 
 
Their grooming worked. I’ve been a homemaker for over 30 years now and have always loved it. I figured if Jesus lives in my heart, then He is in my home as well. So, when I sweep the floors, I sweep for Him. When I wash the dishes, I wash for Him. When I clean the porcelain bowls in the lavatory, yes even that, I clean for Him. The one job where I have to put effort in having joy is ironing, my least favorite job. But when I praise Him through each swipe of the iron, and thank him that I have a husband who is faithful in his work that requires these shirts he wears, that he has a job at all, and that I am healthy and strong enough to be ironing, I begin to glorify Him in this job and my heart bubbles with joy that otherwise could be bogged down in drudgery. And so I thank him for my ironing board, iron, and clothing. I thank Him that we have indoor plumbing and even for that cottony, quilted paper hanging on the roll. I don’t mind cleaning, shining, and washing because it means He has blessed me with a family to clean for and a home to be cleaned. These last four winters as I have met the homeless, I think how they would be happy for a floor to sweep, a bed to make, and fridge to clean out.  I'm also thankful that I live in the time era that I do. For our grandmothers, it was a little more work. I read this article below in the Historical News Paper and had to smile…it reminded me of helping my grandmother with the laundry when I was a little one. . .

Washing Machine Recipe
Years ago an Alabama Grandmother gave the new bride the flowing recipe:

Washing Clothes



Build fire in backyard to heat kettle of rain water. Set tubs so smoke won’t blow in eyes if wind is pert. Shave one hole cake of lie soap in boilin’ water.

Sort things, make 3 piles
1 pile white
1 pile colored
1pile work britches and rags

To make starch, stir flour in cool water to smooth, then thin down with boiling water.
Take white things, rub dirty spots on board, scrub hard, then rub colored, don’t boil, just wrench and starch.

Hang old rags on fence
Spread tea towels on grass
Pore wrench water in flower bed
Scrub porch with hot soapy water.
Turn tubs upside down.

Go put on clean dress, smooth hair with hair combs. Brew cup of tea, sit and rock a spell and count your blessings.

I’ve always been thankful but Ann Voskamp of 1000 Blessings, had taught me to look even further, deeper, with wider eyes to see the gifts that can so easily slip by. She says, “when I give thanks for the seemingly microscopic, I make a place for God to grow within me. This makes me full, and I magnify Him with thanksgiving.” (Psalm 69:30)
 
Yes, I'll magnify on my knees. . .even in front of the porcelain throne.
 
I'm thankful those washtubs can now be used for something more fun, like this. . .


HAPPY CLEANING!

 
Do you whistle while you work? Or praise? Or pray?
It sure makes it a whole lot better!



 

6 comments:

Aritha V. said...

Dear colleague housewife :-) I feel a little ashamed. Sometimes I do my work without pleasure ... I'm doing it for 21 years but I often think I'm not as perfect as others. Sometimes I don't see the cobwebs, or I forget things others never forget. Through your blog I get a positive feeling. With God's grace I shall do my household with more 'fun'. Thank you for this beautiful blog.

You Dutch blog-friend.

Floyd said...

It doesn't matter what we do. When we do it for God it is an honor to Him and to us. Love the heart and humility.

Quiltingranny said...

I always want my home to be clean...not perfect so when someone just stops by I don't have to apologize! I believe God gave me the things I have and I need to take care of them!

Stacie said...

This post is so sweet! I find myself thanking God through my chores, too--but I need to be more intentional about it. . .especially the porcelain bowls! :)

I love the old washing recipe. . way to put things in perspective!

Beth Zimmerman said...

I'm loving getting to know you through your writing! You have a precious heart and are an awesome example to those of us who ... struggle with joy! Perhaps that is one of the things that God would have me CHOOSE this year!?

Lisa Maria said...

Getting caught up on my reading...loved this post. It is so convicting. I just crossed my 20 year marker for being a SAHM...it hasn't always been what it ought to be or what I thought it would be, but praising God for the blessings and the opportunity.So many women would like to be able to do this but can't.

Blessings sweet friend...thank you for inspiring me as always.