Welcome

Why a blog from me, someone who has never been a writer, someone who has never been articulate or had a solid grasp of the grammar world. Because God told me to write. Several years ago a life storm invaded my family. God kept telling me to write it all down. I argued, but He would not let up. This went on every day for a couple of weeks until one day out of frustration, (I'd like to say it was out of obedience), I picked up a pen and paper and wrote for 7 hours straight! Do you think maybe I needed therapy and God knew it?

I've been writing ever since and have learned to love it! I started out sharing my stories with friends and family. I've now been published in a Nashville church paper, Our Daily Journey (a devotional site of RBC Ministries), PCCWeb Daily Devotional, Ruby for Women Ezine Magazine, and I am a contributor in the book Alabaster Jars, Life in Abundance Collection 2.

Why Ponderings? During this life storm, God led me to a pond in the woods behind my home. There He met me each time, teaching new lessons, reminding me of old ones, showing His presence and allowing me to feel His love through the surroundings of that pond. I found myself returning over and over to ponder, pray and praise. A healing of my heart took place and out of the experience came my first book, Ponderings From the Pond, then a second book, Ponderings From My Porch, and now a third book is in the works along with a memoir about my storm.

Why am I making myself so vulnerable? Because God has done so much that I cannot keep quiet. I have to share. Jesus's last words to his desciples were, "Go,tell." We are his disciples too and this is just one of my ways of telling.

I'm no scholar but I have heard God's voice in my spirit, experience His love daily, and have a desire for others to experience this also. I would love to share with all who visit and I would love to hear from you. If my sharing gets just one to ponder, to be quiet with the Father, to see and hear from Him or to be reminded of something from Him, then this is worth my vulnerability.

As you visit me, sometimes we will be at the pond, sometimes we will move to the front porch, and sometimes we will just be here, there, and yonder. Thank you for coming and please feel free to come back anytime, you are always welcome here.

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.

Psalm 19:14

*****EXCITING NEWS*****

My first book, Ya Know What I'm Say'n, has been released.


Ponderings

Ponderings

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Happily Ever After

Our beloved pastor from our church back home is being laid to rest today.  I live in Kentucky but my heart and thoughts are with my First Baptist family back home in Oklahoma for now. We always say at a time like this, "May he rest in peace", but I personally think he is living it up and having the grandest of times!  Bear with me as I reminisce for a minute or two. . .

I believe the best way we can honor someone is to remember, reflect, smile, and laugh.  Our pastor from back home in Edmond, Oklahoma died a few days ago, February 16 in a motorcycle accident.  It was a beautiful day and he was riding home from church on his bike, when he hit a patch of sand and gravel.  His body went sailing down the street, and his soul went sailing into heaven.

I have not been shepherded under Dr. Day for the past seven years, because seven years ago my family moved to Kentucky.  But he was and will always be thought of as one of our beloved pastors.  I lived under his shepherding for over thirteen years.  We grew our family in his church, both of our boys were baptized there, attended Sunday School, Sunday night classes, and VBS in the summers.

I remember the very first time after moving to Edmond, Dr. Day coming to visit us.  Tim, our oldest and only son at the time, was 3 years old.  Dr. Day seemed a very conservative man who wore suits and I was feeling very young and immature as he came into our little modest duplex and sat down.  Just as he got comfortable, Tim comes running through the living room with not much on, and loudly went running into his room.  Keith, my husband and I smiled shyly and Dr. Day laughed with a “you got a handful there”.  (little did we all know that would not come true until that little one turned 18+). 

Dr. Day was in incredibly intelligent man, a strong, wonderful preaching man, sometimes using words that made me go home and run to the dictionary.  He intimidated me in the beginning.  Not through any fault of his own though, just because of my own immaturity, young age, and insecurities.  But over time I began to see past the big words and suits and began to see the warm, caring, loving person He really was.  He loved his family, loved his church, and loved his Lord with a passion.  Even thought he pastured a large church, he told me one time that if I ever needed to ask a question or talk about something and the office was closed, I had the freedom to call him at his home, WOW!  Impressive coming from a man who shepherded hundreds, if not thousands.

When I befriended a young woman new to my sunday school class, she confided in me about her suicidal tendencies and obvious anerexia problems.  It was obvious she was listening to the enemy more than to her Savior and I became convicted that I along with a few other strong prayer partners, gather with her in my home to lay hands on her, praying to the Father for healing, and also wanted to have a little pow-wow with the enemy telling him to get lost and a few other things.  I knew this was serious, so I went to Dr. Day to discuss this with him.  He already knew about her and the situation.  He supported me right away in what I wanted to do, telling me to go for it.  He didn't suggest that he do it, or be in on it, he had faith that I and my few friends involved could handle it.  He prayed with me for the prayer meeting and sent me on my way with confidence.  That instilled confidence in me.  I had never done anything like this before, but I knew with Dr. Day's blessing and with the Holy Spirits presence there, it would all be alright.  And it was.

Dr. Day, along with Brother John Cobbs, shephereded, taught, and led me out of my comfort zone into the world of evangelism.  This was a huge growth spurt for me and I will always be grateful for them for bringing the FAITH program into the church, teaching and leading by example.  They brought this shy, timid, scared girl out into the world to share the gospel and fulfill what I thought the Lord was asking of me, but couldn’t do it on my own.  I believe because of them and what they brought out of me and put into me, that I was able to have courage to go out into the homeless population with a blanket ministry years later and share once again with complete strangers.  Thank you Dr. Day and Brother John Cobbs for that!

I smile as I think maybe Mr. John met Dr. Day up in Heaven and said, “Let me show you around, you just won’t believe it!”  And then coming face to face with God, His arms open wide and hearing, “Well done, thy good and faithful servant.”  Now I call that a happy ending…actually it’s a happy beginning!

My heart grieves for Dr. Day’s wife and children, and with my First Baptist Family back home.  I know they will miss him terribly.  But I know they count their time with him as a huge blessing and I know our Heavenly Father will comfort them and help them to carry on.  Dr. Day’s mission here on earth is over but ours still goes on, for how long, we never know if it will end tomorrow or years from now.  May we live on as Dr. Day did, living each moment to please the Father, loving the people around us, continue to grow ourselves, so when our last day arrives here, we can begin our “happily ever after”.

(this photo was taken with Dr. Day in 1993, the day of Christopher's baby dedication)


124.  laughter from my three favorite male voices
125.  personal letters
126.  sister's voice over telephone lines - a wise and graceful woman
127.  grace
128.  capris and flip-flops in February - a very welcomed gift!
129.  the very friendly, happy, cheerful bank teller
130.  my God who never leaves me
131.  my God who faithfully continues to love me when I am unlovable
132.  my God whose words are trustworthy
133.  my God who will take all my anxieties and give me peace in return
134.  my God who never changes, being the same yesterday, today and forever
135.  my God who heals the brokenhearted
136.  my God who is full of mercy and grace
137.  my God who guides me into all truth
138.  my God whe teaches me to be content in ALL circumstances
139.  my God who gives me rest when I am weary
140.  my husband who so willingly and cheerfully steam cleaned our carpets and upholstry
141.  devo time with friend out at the hammock
142.  the comfort of a quilt
 

No comments: