Welcome

Why a blog from me, someone who has never been a writer, someone who has never been articulate or had a solid grasp of the grammar world. Because God told me to write. Several years ago a life storm invaded my family. God kept telling me to write it all down. I argued, but He would not let up. This went on every day for a couple of weeks until one day out of frustration, (I'd like to say it was out of obedience), I picked up a pen and paper and wrote for 7 hours straight! Do you think maybe I needed therapy and God knew it?

I've been writing ever since and have learned to love it! I started out sharing my stories with friends and family. I've now been published in a Nashville church paper, Our Daily Journey (a devotional site of RBC Ministries), PCCWeb Daily Devotional, Ruby for Women Ezine Magazine, and I am a contributor in the book Alabaster Jars, Life in Abundance Collection 2.

Why Ponderings? During this life storm, God led me to a pond in the woods behind my home. There He met me each time, teaching new lessons, reminding me of old ones, showing His presence and allowing me to feel His love through the surroundings of that pond. I found myself returning over and over to ponder, pray and praise. A healing of my heart took place and out of the experience came my first book, Ponderings From the Pond, then a second book, Ponderings From My Porch, and now a third book is in the works along with a memoir about my storm.

Why am I making myself so vulnerable? Because God has done so much that I cannot keep quiet. I have to share. Jesus's last words to his desciples were, "Go,tell." We are his disciples too and this is just one of my ways of telling.

I'm no scholar but I have heard God's voice in my spirit, experience His love daily, and have a desire for others to experience this also. I would love to share with all who visit and I would love to hear from you. If my sharing gets just one to ponder, to be quiet with the Father, to see and hear from Him or to be reminded of something from Him, then this is worth my vulnerability.

As you visit me, sometimes we will be at the pond, sometimes we will move to the front porch, and sometimes we will just be here, there, and yonder. Thank you for coming and please feel free to come back anytime, you are always welcome here.

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.

Psalm 19:14

*****EXCITING NEWS*****

My first book, Ya Know What I'm Say'n, has been released.


Ponderings

Ponderings

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Grace on the Back Roads


I live out in the country in a “bedroom community”, a small town about 10-12 miles outside of Bowling Green. It’s called a bedroom community because it’s mainly just a town of homes. Everyone who is not a farmer works and shops in Bowling Green. When driving to the Homeless Outreach Ministry at the bridge, I can either go one way and end up in town on the main roads and either drive on or next to the highway or I can go the back way and drive the curvy back roads with the tilled farm land on either side holding fresh sown seeds in the spring and in the fall either tall corn stalks or thick tobacco or soy beans filling the scenery.
 
Along these roads come the smell of fresh rolled hay bales and sometimes you can get a whiff from the chicken houses.
 
These back roads are my favorite way to travel to the bridge.
 
I’m a country girl at heart and I love the smells of country land and the sights of many barns sitting here and there amongst the trees, wildflowers, horses and cows. And sometimes a barn sits out there all by its lonesome dressed in either new wood and fresh barn red paint or dressed in worn, dilapidated boards missing most of its color, even missing some it’s planks where the sunlight streams in and out.
 
 
 
 


 Driving the back roads is peaceful to me and the 30 minute drive gives me time to think and pray for our bridge guests and volunteers. My jeep tires have driven these roads many times and they must know the route by now all by themselves as there have been many times I have arrived at the bridge not really remembering the drive at all because I was engrossed in my thought and in my prayers. I guess driving safely and pondering at the same time comes with age, thank goodness. Or the good Lord is watching over me.

I don’t take my visits to the bridge lightly. There are people coming each week that need to see a smile, need to be welcomed with a friendly hello, need to be ministered to in some way; some want prayer. They need to hear an uplifting word. They need to see that someone cares. And so I spend those 30 minutes in the car praying for myself and the other volunteers who many are coming from their 8-9 hour jobs. I pray for us to be refreshed, feeling good, and ready to step outside of ourselves and filled with the Holy Spirit, ready to graciously welcome our guests. And I pray for our guests to feel welcomed and to receive whatever it is they need at that time, whether that be a hug, a word, a prayer, or just want to tell someone about their day.

God fills me out there on the back roads and I lap it up eagerly. As I and the others receive, we are able to give, thank goodness as there are always those who come who are thirsting for grace. God always supplies. This has become home away from home and my second family. I am always ready to see them. And there is always someone if not a few who offer me the hug, the encouraging word, asking me about my day, offering grace.

As I drive back down those country roads going home for the evening, I am grateful and thanking God for His abundant provisions of so many things. As I pass the fields and the barns, I realize how invigorated I feel by being at the bridge with my friends and second family. And I think the back roads have something to do with it also. I may be driving, but I’m also smiling as I see the images of grace playing out that evening in my mind. Thank goodness there isn’t much traffic on the back roads! Occasionally I come upon a farmer inching his way down the road on this tractor. He is easy to pass and he always waves with a smile and I wave back.

God supplies so many gifts on those back roads. His beautiful creatures that nay and bray and honk and bark and meow and bellow; colorful wildflowers growing up a fence post, the sweet smell of hay, the friendly farmer. As I pull into my driveway, I thank my Lord for the blessings of these gifts and once again for grace.
 
 
 
 
 
 
As the sun goes down over the Kentucky hills of my home I think to myself, "I can’t wait to go again the next week to do it all over again."


 

2 comments:

She Stands said...

Beautiful...simply beautiful
xoxo
Stacey

a joyful noise said...

That 30 minute drive alone - just you and the Lord is a great time to pray and ponder just prior to meeting with your friends of the bridge.