Welcome

Why a blog from me, someone who has never been a writer, someone who has never been articulate or had a solid grasp of the grammar world. Because God told me to write. Several years ago a life storm invaded my family. God kept telling me to write it all down. I argued, but He would not let up. This went on every day for a couple of weeks until one day out of frustration, (I'd like to say it was out of obedience), I picked up a pen and paper and wrote for 7 hours straight! Do you think maybe I needed therapy and God knew it?

I've been writing ever since and have learned to love it! I started out sharing my stories with friends and family. I've now been published in a Nashville church paper, Our Daily Journey (a devotional site of RBC Ministries), PCCWeb Daily Devotional, Ruby for Women Ezine Magazine, and I am a contributor in the book Alabaster Jars, Life in Abundance Collection 2.

Why Ponderings? During this life storm, God led me to a pond in the woods behind my home. There He met me each time, teaching new lessons, reminding me of old ones, showing His presence and allowing me to feel His love through the surroundings of that pond. I found myself returning over and over to ponder, pray and praise. A healing of my heart took place and out of the experience came my first book, Ponderings From the Pond, then a second book, Ponderings From My Porch, and now a third book is in the works along with a memoir about my storm.

Why am I making myself so vulnerable? Because God has done so much that I cannot keep quiet. I have to share. Jesus's last words to his desciples were, "Go,tell." We are his disciples too and this is just one of my ways of telling.

I'm no scholar but I have heard God's voice in my spirit, experience His love daily, and have a desire for others to experience this also. I would love to share with all who visit and I would love to hear from you. If my sharing gets just one to ponder, to be quiet with the Father, to see and hear from Him or to be reminded of something from Him, then this is worth my vulnerability.

As you visit me, sometimes we will be at the pond, sometimes we will move to the front porch, and sometimes we will just be here, there, and yonder. Thank you for coming and please feel free to come back anytime, you are always welcome here.

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.

Psalm 19:14

*****EXCITING NEWS*****

My first book, Ya Know What I'm Say'n, has been released.


Ponderings

Ponderings

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

I'm a Nut

My friends have said in the past with a silly grin that I am a nut, but the way I've been eating lately, I may really turn into one.

It goes along with my one word for the year, DISCIPLINE.  One of the areas in need of discipline is my eating habits.  I tend to be a junk food junkie, I love sweets, and I'm a chronic Dr. Pepper drinker. Maybe this is why I am getting so many bad headaches. This year I want to do better and feel better, honoring this body God has given me. If you've been following me, you saw my funkie, polka-dot glass that is just for water.


 I've been using it a lot. . .with water in it:)  When I went to the grocery store to stock up again, I walked right past the Dr. Pepper.  I walked down an isle I had never walked before. . . the health food isle.  I bought garlic and chive pita bites

which is so good, especially if dipped into a dill dip.  I also bought pepitas (spanish for roasted pumpkin seeds),


soy nuts,


raw almonds,

and banana gronala filled with almonds and walnuts.
Who knew something from the health food isle could taste so good!  I thought nuts had to be dipped in chocolate to be a nice treat, or be covered in sugars.  But these nuts, I think I'm already nuts over.  I'm lovin' everything I have tried so far. I googled the pepitas and soy nuts and found out they are an excellent source of nutrition with SO many good words like iron, zinc maganese, phosphorus, copper and potassium.  These sounds like words from the vitamin bottles.  I would rather eat these tasty nuts than swallow a pill I somethimes tend to gag on.

I googled soy nuts and found out through the Journal of Women's Health that these little guys have been shown to prevent heart disease and several forms of cancer.  Also has shown that consuming soy nuts 3-4 times throughout the day was associated with the decrease in the number of hot flashes and improvement in menepausal symptoms.  A good thing to know since I have a feeling that is right around the corner for me.  I have not seen these kind of readings or heard anyone ever say the potato chip would contribute to these wonderful claims.

SO, for this area of discipline, so far, I'm giving myself a B.  Why a B?  Because, I know I can do a lot more in this area, but it is going to take time for me to learn what all is out there.  I know one thing though and this proves there is a God who loves us. . .dark chocolate is good for us!!!!!  I don't have to give it up completely!  Oh, and I know about hummus.  It's made from chickpeas, which is in the nut family.  Maybe I'll give myself a B+.

You all are probably laughing thinking this is nothing new.  You all probably already eat these things right?  You may be thinking, she's a grown woman, she should have learned this ages ago.  Wellllll, the true me has come out.  Better late than never, right?  You can teach an old dog new tricks, right?  We'll see if I'm a good learner or not.

I just remembered. . .while at the store, I bought ice cream BUT it does have nuts in it.  At least I'm truthful. I may have to go back to a plain ol' B grade for now. 

Do any of you out there have suggestions for me as far as what healthy thing to eat?  Have a recipe for something healthy. . .and tasty?  Please do share!

Thanks so much from this one big nut!  Maybe soon to be health nut?



DISCIPLINE

6 comments:

Jeanette Levellie said...

Good for you, Kristin! I am trying to eat healthier this year, too. A great book written by a fellow-Christian is Fat to Skinny Fast and Easy. Author is Doug Varrier. I can now button my pants, praise God! He even has low carb recipes in the back.

So glad I stopped onto your blog. Happy Day,
Jen

Jeanette Levellie said...

Oh, one more thing: I found this great recipe for ice cream substitute, and I am an ice cream nut! Take a large tub of cottage cheese. Mix in one envelope of sugar free jello or pudding. Mix with a tub of low cal Cool whip, a little bit thawed. Chill for 1-2 hours. It is filling, but satisfies my sweet tooth without all the carbs and sugar. Love it!

Denise said...

Healthy discipline is a great way to start out the New Year Kristin! :) I am quite a snacker too, and in addition to nuts I always have lots of carrot, celery sticks and fruit of the season stocked up for easy access, as well as mozzerella cheese sticks, cottage cheese, sliced turkey breast, and laughing cow cheese to spread on low fat crackers or pita chips.

God bless you on your healthy adventure!
Hugs and blessings,
Denise

Anonymous said...

Way to go Kristy! Try this, it's a yummy treat for me. Zucchini cut in half. Drizzle olive oil over it. Sprinkle with fresh garlic and oregano and a hint of salt. Broil until nice and brown. It's a nice treat. But even better with the dip... veganaise (vegan mayo) dill weed, salt, garlic powder, oregano, and parsley. Oh soooo good!!

Aritha V. said...

Hey, good idea. In my house is on the table in the room a glass dish. For the walnuts and peanuts. I chose these two types instead of candy. The kids love it. They like to peeling the peanuts. And nuts to crack is funny. Healthy food is good. But its hard to cut down coffee. Good luck and I enjoyed reading this blog

♥ my diary♥ said...

Hi friend as you have noticed my blog is empty i left a message to everyone so you can join me back..pff..stay hours doing this..dont want to lose my friends...in case here is the link who will bring you there past it on top of your page...or click the link on my old blog...im not there anymore just leaving it untill all things start to work hope you find me...loves and thank you..

http://thebattleofthegoodfaith.blogspot.com/