Welcome

Why a blog from me, someone who has never been a writer, someone who has never been articulate or had a solid grasp of the grammar world. Because God told me to write. Several years ago a life storm invaded my family. God kept telling me to write it all down. I argued, but He would not let up. This went on every day for a couple of weeks until one day out of frustration, (I'd like to say it was out of obedience), I picked up a pen and paper and wrote for 7 hours straight! Do you think maybe I needed therapy and God knew it?

I've been writing ever since and have learned to love it! I started out sharing my stories with friends and family. I've now been published in a Nashville church paper, Our Daily Journey (a devotional site of RBC Ministries), PCCWeb Daily Devotional, Ruby for Women Ezine Magazine, and I am a contributor in the book Alabaster Jars, Life in Abundance Collection 2.

Why Ponderings? During this life storm, God led me to a pond in the woods behind my home. There He met me each time, teaching new lessons, reminding me of old ones, showing His presence and allowing me to feel His love through the surroundings of that pond. I found myself returning over and over to ponder, pray and praise. A healing of my heart took place and out of the experience came my first book, Ponderings From the Pond, then a second book, Ponderings From My Porch, and now a third book is in the works along with a memoir about my storm.

Why am I making myself so vulnerable? Because God has done so much that I cannot keep quiet. I have to share. Jesus's last words to his desciples were, "Go,tell." We are his disciples too and this is just one of my ways of telling.

I'm no scholar but I have heard God's voice in my spirit, experience His love daily, and have a desire for others to experience this also. I would love to share with all who visit and I would love to hear from you. If my sharing gets just one to ponder, to be quiet with the Father, to see and hear from Him or to be reminded of something from Him, then this is worth my vulnerability.

As you visit me, sometimes we will be at the pond, sometimes we will move to the front porch, and sometimes we will just be here, there, and yonder. Thank you for coming and please feel free to come back anytime, you are always welcome here.

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.

Psalm 19:14

*****EXCITING NEWS*****

My first book, Ya Know What I'm Say'n, has been released.


Ponderings

Ponderings

Monday, October 10, 2011

A Good Read

I am a reader.  I have been ever since I was a little girl.  I’m one of those that read the entire Nancy Drew Series way back then. 

I’ve read many books that have inspired me.  You can see a list of some of those to the right of my blog. 
But none has moved me out of my seat and out into the public quite like this one. . .


Within months of reading this book, which I did in one sitting, the blanket ministry was started.  I didn’t have a clue what I was doing, but God did.  After two winters, over a 1000 blankets were handed out to the homeless and needy and my husband and I ended up on the front page of the newspaper. After two years of seeing and talking with the homeless, I saw that there was a soul beneath the hardened exterior that was not any different from mine.  These people are a creation of God just like me and have gone through the pain from others, poverty, and bad choices.  They also need to know love and experience grace and mercy as I have experienced.  And so I am now involved in a book project interviewing the homeless, giving them a voice, sharing with the world that there is a somebody inside that tired shell of theirs, a real beating heart that longs to be heard.  I don’t have a clue what I’m doing here either, but God does, and I am following the best I know how as He leads.

And one of those ways is through another good read, this one. . .

When I open this book, I feel the Holy Spirit draw me in.  Reading this one gives me courage and boldness this quiet girl never had as a young one.  Reading this one fills me up with love and compassion for my fellow Bowling Greeners.  Reading this one puts my mind back into perspective when the enemy tries to thwart my direction. Reading this one gives me comfort, strength, direction, solid footing, peace, and joy. 

Let me clarify this.  The books are good reads, but it is the authors who do the inspiring.  Ron Hall, his wife, and Denver and their story is what inspired me.  And it is the author of this second book that gives me the abundant life He promised me. And I’m not talking about things that can and will rust away eventually, but the things I listed above that never have to go away.

Sometimes I don’t know what direction to go in.  Five years ago, when I felt life was spiraling out of control, I started to hear His whisper saying, “Write it down.”  As you see at the top of my blog, I kept hearing this for two weeks.  Then one morning I let my Bible just freely open up on my lap and these are the words my eyes fell on. . . “Write in a book all the words I have spoken to you.”  I gave in.  I wrote my first book which contains over 75,000 words.  I put it away to begin another and then another and now I have this project with the homeless.  He never said to me anything would be published, He just said to “Write”.  I don’t know where all of this is going, and that’s ok.  I might be scared out of my mind if I knew.  I’m just trusting God with each step.  And I will continue to open up the best book ever because not only is it a good read, it is my LIFE. 

God gave me the opportunity to thank Ron Hall from the book, Same Kind of Different As Me.  I had been wanting to do this but did not know how.  He got a hold of my story through someone else and I received an e-mail from the lady who works with him telling me he read my story and wanted to thank me for what I was doing with the homeless.  I in turn, got to send my “Thank You” back to him.  How awesome is our God to allow me the privilege to say Thank You to these authors?!

And to the Author of the best read ever and the Author of my life. . .I say “Thank You!”  for everything you have done in my life, most importantly sending your Son to die on the cross to pay the penalty for my sins, and giving me this life that you have and walking through it every step of the way with me. 

Next time you pick up a book to read, make it a good read.  You just never know how God will use it to move you on to that next step in your life.

Linking with








7 comments:

Anonymous said...

kristin...SKDAM...love that book...I can't say it has lead me to take such bold steps as yours...but it did change so much how i view...can love the homeless...I have taken baby steps...
I am inspired by you and I love "watching" where God is taking you...just since I started reading not so long ago.
Reading...Kisses from Katie right now...wow...it is a powerful read...
Blessings....

Lisa Maria said...

Hello friend.. first off let me say that I was a Nancy Drew girl too! Reading was and still is my favourite thing to do and I went through the Hardy Boys as well ;-)

I'm so glad to be able to share in your journey (wish I could do so physically too) and see where God is taking you. Isn't it amazing when we just keep our eyes on Him and let Him lead us what marvels He shows us and enables us to do?

Love & Hugs from over the seas

Anonymous said...

Kristin...Here is katie's blog http://kissesfromkatie.blogspot.com/

Carolyn Evaine Counterman said...

I have had "Same Kind of Different As Me" sitting on my "to read" shelf for some time, but haven't got to it yet. Guess I need to do that.

Unknown said...

What an amazing opportunity. I loved reading that book -- so inspiring. It also helped my in my grief when I lost my grandmother to cancer. Knowing that Denver saw his best friend even after death brought so much comfort to me.

Pamela said...

I like the Hardy Boys better than Nancy Drew. I've seen this "different" book but have yet to read it. You gave me a push to take the time. Your ministry sounds wonderful. I love how God leads.

Blessings,
Pamela

Yolanda said...

It is on my huge To Be Read Pile. I love the idea of the blanket ministry.I am so glad to have found your place.