Welcome

Why a blog from me, someone who has never been a writer, someone who has never been articulate or had a solid grasp of the grammar world. Because God told me to write. Several years ago a life storm invaded my family. God kept telling me to write it all down. I argued, but He would not let up. This went on every day for a couple of weeks until one day out of frustration, (I'd like to say it was out of obedience), I picked up a pen and paper and wrote for 7 hours straight! Do you think maybe I needed therapy and God knew it?

I've been writing ever since and have learned to love it! I started out sharing my stories with friends and family. I've now been published in a Nashville church paper, Our Daily Journey (a devotional site of RBC Ministries), PCCWeb Daily Devotional, Ruby for Women Ezine Magazine, and I am a contributor in the book Alabaster Jars, Life in Abundance Collection 2.

Why Ponderings? During this life storm, God led me to a pond in the woods behind my home. There He met me each time, teaching new lessons, reminding me of old ones, showing His presence and allowing me to feel His love through the surroundings of that pond. I found myself returning over and over to ponder, pray and praise. A healing of my heart took place and out of the experience came my first book, Ponderings From the Pond, then a second book, Ponderings From My Porch, and now a third book is in the works along with a memoir about my storm.

Why am I making myself so vulnerable? Because God has done so much that I cannot keep quiet. I have to share. Jesus's last words to his desciples were, "Go,tell." We are his disciples too and this is just one of my ways of telling.

I'm no scholar but I have heard God's voice in my spirit, experience His love daily, and have a desire for others to experience this also. I would love to share with all who visit and I would love to hear from you. If my sharing gets just one to ponder, to be quiet with the Father, to see and hear from Him or to be reminded of something from Him, then this is worth my vulnerability.

As you visit me, sometimes we will be at the pond, sometimes we will move to the front porch, and sometimes we will just be here, there, and yonder. Thank you for coming and please feel free to come back anytime, you are always welcome here.

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.

Psalm 19:14

*****EXCITING NEWS*****

My first book, Ya Know What I'm Say'n, has been released.


Ponderings

Ponderings

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Hearing Impaired?



I met a sweet woman the other day who was hearing impaired.  I was a little apprehensive to meet her because I didn’t know if I could communicate with her.  It turned out fine because she has a wonderful skill of reading lips and she can speak well enough along with hand gestures that I knew what she was saying.
            I got to thinking about her later and thought she probably hears a lot better than us fully functioning hearing people, although, I wouldn’t say we are always “fully functioning” in the hearing department.  Have you ever told your child to clean their room and they don’t seem to hear you.  But you can say to your spouse in a quiet voice, in a different room from your child, “Let’s go out to eat” and that child runs in and says, “Where are we going?”  My husband and I call that selective hearing.
            I’m going to wager a good guess that we all have been guilty of selective hearing at one time or another, with our family, friends and maybe even more with our Lord.  I know I have.
            For years, He was telling me to witness but I turned a deaf ear.  I was afraid of witnessing so I just pretended not to hear, ignoring the voice.  Years later, (He never let up), I finally decided to join an evangelism group and for the first year was the trainee going out on visits with a team and a leader, learning and practicing as I went.  The second year I became the leader of a group. This was huge for someone who was always very quiet and just wanted to blend into the crowd.  This experience gave me confidence like I had never had before, and realized that when you are being obedient to the voice of the Lord, he will give you the tools to succeed. This just increased my faith all the more.  There were tremendous blessings for me through this experience and was a huge growth period in my life. With this new confidence, I walked right into other experiences I would not have before, and I received many more blessings.  The blessings of getting to share my faith, my love for God and seeing the light bulb come on for them.  I met a lot of great people.  God knew this would be so for me and I was glad He was so persistent.
            How many blessing I wonder we miss because we turn a deaf ear to Him.  He loves us and only wants what is best for us.  He wants to bless us and use us to bless others. So why do we tune Him out?  Maybe we just don’t hear Him at all because we have forgotten to listen for His voice.  Maybe we don’t recognize His voice because we do not spend the time we should with Him.  I think more than anything, we’re scared as I was with this lady.  But she took my hand and smiled at me and I was instantly at ease.
            The Lord wants to touch us, to smile on us…He says, “Hear my voice.”  John 10:27 , “The Lord speaks to His sheep and His sheep hear His voice.”   I smile as I think about the woman I met.  I know she is a believer in Christ so I know even though she cannot hear my voice, she can hear the voice of our Savior. 
            Later, I felt ashamed of myself for being apprehensive in meeting her.  She is a sweet child of God who some might say she is handicapped.  I believe between the two of us, I was the one handicapped, but God put the two of us together for just a few minutes, and I was taught a valuable lesson.  One, not to be afraid of someone who communicates differently, and to make sure my own ears are in tune with not just others, but with my Lord always.  I don’t think of this lady as hearing impaired anymore.  I and others who practice selective hearing are the ones who should be called hearing impaired. 
            I would like to challenge you along with myself the next time someone speaks to us, let’s give them our full attention.  After all, is that not what we want when we are the ones speaking?  And when we hear from our Lord, let’s not turn a deaf ear to Him; let’s not practice selective hearing with Him.  Remember, He will never tell you something bad, and He will never tell you to do something that He will not give you the tools to accomplish that something with.  Let’s be excited to hear from Him, to be obedient to His voice, and see what exciting things happen.
            Did you hear me?
“The Lord speaks to His sheep and His sheep hear His voice.”
John 10:27


9 comments:

Cora said...

Kristin, I am so quick to "tune out!" I tend to give God all the answers of my unwilling heart before He even gets a word in edgewise. I'm learning. Slowly learning. Why is it we can be so afraid to do these things ---- especially when the end result is usually a joy and a blessing to US???!!!!! YES! I HEARD YOU, Kristin! Loud and clear. Thank you for this today. I so needed it!

Anonymous said...

I came across another quote that made me think of you..."Who are your friends? have you chosen them carefully or have you let God choose for you? Can you count among your friends, homeless, disabled, prisoner, homosexuals.... The range and the depth of friendships accurately reflects your knowledge of the Love of God" mike mason

Blessings~

Sarah said...

I so love hearing His voice and radically following. It's the only way to really live. I guess I'm a 'baaa ing' along with you.

Thanks for stopping by and splashing with me. It's such a joy to be refreshed in God's words.

Be blessed bunches,
Sarah

Unknown said...

This is really good, Kristin. I know I have practiced selective listening, not only with people, but with God. When I speak to God I know I have His full attention - He excepts the same of me. Many blessings!

Aritha V. said...

I like this posting! It is good to read this. Thank you.

Erin said...

Kristin,
I have started telling waitresses and waiters that we are going to bless our food. Then I ask them if there is anything that we can pray about for them. There has never been a time that we weren't asked to pray for them about something. Many times they have tears running down their faces and we get the chance to minister to them! It is so easy and such a blessing.
I have to tell you a funny story. I love your blog so much...it always blesses me. Then one day, for some reason I couldn't find you! I searched the internet everywhere. I just found you again today. I'm going to put your button on my blog so that doesn't happen again! LOL! You are a blessing!
~Erin

Quiltingranny said...

Great post and as someone who is hearing impaired and recently had to start wearing hearing instruments, we miss alot when we think we are listening!

Stacie said...

Great insight, Kristin. I had a good chuckle with the example of the kids listening from the other room. My children certainly have selective hearing. . .but I'm sure their mother does too! Thanks for the reminder to slow down to listen!!

Jackie said...

Oh I love this post~so many aspects of it I can relate to...I, too, need to slow down, pay attention and listen~my parents told me this years ago!
Thank you Kristin!