Welcome

Why a blog from me, someone who has never been a writer, someone who has never been articulate or had a solid grasp of the grammar world. Because God told me to write. Several years ago a life storm invaded my family. God kept telling me to write it all down. I argued, but He would not let up. This went on every day for a couple of weeks until one day out of frustration, (I'd like to say it was out of obedience), I picked up a pen and paper and wrote for 7 hours straight! Do you think maybe I needed therapy and God knew it?

I've been writing ever since and have learned to love it! I started out sharing my stories with friends and family. I've now been published in a Nashville church paper, Our Daily Journey (a devotional site of RBC Ministries), PCCWeb Daily Devotional, Ruby for Women Ezine Magazine, and I am a contributor in the book Alabaster Jars, Life in Abundance Collection 2.

Why Ponderings? During this life storm, God led me to a pond in the woods behind my home. There He met me each time, teaching new lessons, reminding me of old ones, showing His presence and allowing me to feel His love through the surroundings of that pond. I found myself returning over and over to ponder, pray and praise. A healing of my heart took place and out of the experience came my first book, Ponderings From the Pond, then a second book, Ponderings From My Porch, and now a third book is in the works along with a memoir about my storm.

Why am I making myself so vulnerable? Because God has done so much that I cannot keep quiet. I have to share. Jesus's last words to his desciples were, "Go,tell." We are his disciples too and this is just one of my ways of telling.

I'm no scholar but I have heard God's voice in my spirit, experience His love daily, and have a desire for others to experience this also. I would love to share with all who visit and I would love to hear from you. If my sharing gets just one to ponder, to be quiet with the Father, to see and hear from Him or to be reminded of something from Him, then this is worth my vulnerability.

As you visit me, sometimes we will be at the pond, sometimes we will move to the front porch, and sometimes we will just be here, there, and yonder. Thank you for coming and please feel free to come back anytime, you are always welcome here.

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.

Psalm 19:14

*****EXCITING NEWS*****

My first book, Ya Know What I'm Say'n, has been released.


Ponderings

Ponderings

Monday, November 8, 2010

Fear

One day while sitting by the pond, I screamed and just about jumped out of my skin.  What could possibly cause me fear at my quiet, peaceful pond?  A snake! 
            I have never liked snakes.  I’m not sure why.  Maybe it’s an unconscious thing.  The bible describes Satan as a serpent. (Genesis 1:1)  In the 21st chapter of Numbers, God used venomous snakes to punish the Israelites.  In the movie, ‘The Passion’, Satan came to Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane to taunt him just before He was crucified.  Satan thought he won…but he didn’t.  Jesus, as we all know, nailed the victory. Hallelujah!
            Maybe his disguise is in my subconscious and when I see a snake, I just get the willie nillies.  (Remember I’m a born and bred Oklahoman)
            My grandmother used to laugh while telling a story about when her dad, a farmer, was working out in his fields one day and he started hopping around.  She was watching from the house and said in a split second, he shot out of his pants and stood there in the field wearing his shirt, underwear and work shoes.  A snake had crawled up his leg and he came right out of his pants.  Apparently he didn’t like snakes either.
            I don’t think the actual snake is evil.  After all, God created it and everything from God is good.  But I try to calm myself with these verses when I see a snake:
           
            Psalm 23:4 –“…I will fear no evil.”
            Isaiah 35:4- “Be strong, do not fear.”
            Isaiah 41:10-“…do not fear….”
            Second Timothy 1:7… “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of love, and of a sound mind.”
            I think He’s telling me to not be afraid!  Not just of snakes but all other fears as well.  Is your fear on the top 10 list?
            1.  Public speaking
            2.  Heights
            3.  Terrorism
            4.  Insects and bugs
            5.  Financial problems
            6.  Deep water
            7.  Sickness
            8.  Death
            9.  Loneliness
           10. Flying
            One of mine used to be the fear of evangelism.  Why?  Because it evoked another fear of mine, rejection.  I learned not to let fear paralyze or immobilize me though, to keep me from utilizing God’s power and to not let the fear keep me from sharing God’s love and evangelizing.
            A lot of the “do not fear” verses are followed by…”for I am with you.”  Who?
God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit.  Who better to have on our side and in our heart than Jesus himself.  And who better to evangelize with and share God’s love than with the Holy Spirit. And who better to fight our battles and ease our fear than the mighty warrior himself, God.
            Fear is from the ol’ serpent himself, Satan.  So we need to turn to what causes him fear, which is the Word of God.  Hebrews 4:12 says, “For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any double-edged sword…”  Let’s stand on the Word of God, especially for this segment, Ephesians 6:10-17, which says, “Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.  For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.  Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.  Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.  In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.  Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
            Just reading those words makes me feel more courageous.  So the next time you feel afraid because of the devil’s schemes and his flaming arrows, put on the whole armor of God and know He is standing with you.  When the flaming arrows were coming at my family, my husband and I went to our knees before the Lord, then stood strong with the armor on, and waited.
            As for the snake…I’m just going to have to buck up and see it as one of God’s creations…but maybe from afar.

“…He delivered me from all my fears.”
Psalm 34:4


1 comment:

Maryellen said...

Tracy and I saw one like this back there too, only he was in the path. I see a snake from time to time on my kayak paddles and they do tend to make you jump...at least until I can ascertain if it is a poisonous one! I am not afraid of snakes but do fear the serpeant Satan, who is always seeking whom he can devour! We are to be ever diligent and watchful-he is always poisonous!